17 November 2011

The Last Job - Part 3

“Take a different way back to the flat,” Jason said, out of breath, wincing with the pain in his knee. “The police can’t know exactly where we were.” He breathed hard and clutched his knee. “That wasn’t supposed to happen.”

“What the hell happened in there?” Richard demanded. “More importantly, what the hell am I going to do about Priscilla? I can’t tell her what happened. She trusts me.”
 
“I don’t know what happened. That woman. She was supposed to be asleep. All of a sudden she just rolled over and turned the light on.” Jason grimaced. “We need to get something for my leg.”
 
“We can’t go back to the flat,” Richard said, panicked. “I can’t tell Priscilla what happened.”
 
“Well, let’s at least go to mine,” Jason pleaded. “I need to ice this real bad.”

The Mini flew through the cramped city streets in the early hours of the morning, arriving back at Jason’s flat. Jason left the car and limped his way up to the flat. He turned the key in the lock, then hobbled into his living room, setting down his backpack on the way to the kitchen.
 
“We can’t stay here, Rich. You know that, right?” Jason asked Richard, who had just entered the apartment. “I think we should try to get out of the country.” He took the ice pack out of the freezer and secured it around his leg.
 
“What do I do about Priscilla?” said Richard. He paced back and forth running his hands through his hair. “I was going to ask her to move to Naples with me once she finished finals. That takes a lot of trust, and I betrayed that trust.” He sat down on the futon and rested his head in his hands. “I should never have gotten involved with this. It’s cost too much over the years.”
 
Jason sat down next to Richard. “Rich, we’ve known each other since our freshman year at college. I know we really screwed up this time, but it’ll get better.”
 
“No.” He stood up and paced again. “There’s no way I’m going to leave Priscilla behind. She deserves to know the truth about what we do, where I get my extra money from. Door to door sales doesn’t bring in enough to live like we live. I’m going to tell her and then turn myself in. It’s the best thing I can think of.”
 
“Rich, don’t do this to yourself.”
 
“I have to! You’ve been so hung up on that rush you feel that you’ve lost all sense of responsibility. This was supposed to be the last one. I was finally going to get what I wanted—a life without secrets, and now we’re stuck in this mess because you screwed up!” Richard said.
 
“Look,” said Jason. “Just go along with it for now. We need to get out of town for a little while. That couple tonight saw both of us and they’ll have called the police, who WILL be looking for us, whether you like it or not. Now I know a guy north of here who can help us. We can lay low for a while there."

“I don’t know,” Richard said. “Priscilla will wonder what happened.”
 
“Just tell her you have to go out of town for business.” Jason shrugged.
 
“Errrr…” Richard’s face contorted as he debated whether or not to accept Jason’s proposal. “You’re sure this guy can help?”
 
“Positive. When have I ever let you down?” Richard glared at him. “Besides tonight,” Jason responded with a grin.
 
“I don’t know. I will lose her if she finds out,” Richard said.
 
“Rich, they saw you too. If they catch you they’ll throw you in jail,” Jason said. “Do you want Priscilla to have to deal with that?”
 
“I just don’t think running off like this without any warning is the best idea for my relationship,” Richard said.
 
“Look, Rich. I know how attached you two are and you don’t want to hurt that, but the police are going to be looking for us,” Jason said, his voice slightly elevated.
 
“But you don’t know that!” Richard stood up. “I think you’re just trying to get out of here because you’re in trouble, and I’m the only ride you have.
 
“Richard, I’m dead serious. I know that man in the house saw you too. He almost hit you with that damn bat. How could he not have seen you?” Jason shot back.
 
Richard paced back and forth, brow furrowed. “How long would we have to be gone?” He said.
 
“I don’t know. It would probably have to be at least a week. Most likely two,” Jason said.
 
“That’s a long time.”Richard said. “She won’t buy it.”
 
“If you don’t want to go to jail, you would be wise to join me,” Jason said.
 
“Ugh, why did you have to screw this up?” Richard asked. “I really don’t have much of a choice, do I?”
 
“Sadly, not much of one, unless you want to get picked up by the police soon,” Jason said. “I just have to grab a few things from here.” Jason said as he got up and went to his room. “You know, I really think you’re doing the right thing here if you come with me,” he said from the other room as he stuffed clothes into a large duffle bag.
 
“What, abandoning Priscilla for two weeks? How is that the right thing?” Richard asked.
 
“What I meant was saving yourself from jail so you two can still be together.”
 
“Well we wouldn’t be in this situation if things had gone according to plan tonight,” Richard said.
 
“Yeah, well. Shit happens. You just have to adapt when it does,” Jason said as he strolled into the living room with his bag over his shoulder. “Let’s go. Time’s wasting.”
 
Richard broke his long stare at the coffee table and met Jason’s gaze. “I guess this is goodbye then.”
 
“Rich, you can’t be serious.” Jason looked crestfallen. “We’ve always been in this together. You can’t just give up.”

“This obsession of yours ruined my life. Either choice I make will likely destroy everything.” Richard slouched back in the futon. “I’m done hiding.”
 
“The key is on the counter. Just lock the door when you leave then.” Jason opened the door and looked back at Richard. “Take care of yourself.”
 
“Likewise.” Jason shut the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment